Post new topic   Reply to topic    Refugee League of Tamriel Forum Index -> Guild Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andeon

re: condensing forums suggestion

while we're still waiting for more members of the guild to find their way here to the website, Morntha brought up a suggestion - as (s)he might be unable to post, I'm repeating it here as one of the possible suggestion/feedback being offered - (s)he is welcome to replace this post or update it if I accidentally mis-represent their suggestion

Morntha was suggesting that with so many forums, the website felt a little barren, and suggesting narrowing down the number of different forums so that the ones we had left would appear more active.  Certainly an interesting suggestion, and worthy of some consideration.

For my own part, I'm inclined to leave it as is, *partly* because this  is how *I* tend to subdivide things in my own mind, and partly because I'm really quite hoping that even with a relatively small population, many of us will be active as far as expressing ourselves and our ideas, and I would like to make it as easy as possible to find the right place to put our ideas so that they're easily found and referenced.

I like to think of it as "future proofing" the forums, by making them big and expansive now, I'm hoping we'll have plenty of room to grow into.

Now, another perfectly reasonable option, is to pare down the number of forums *currently*, and then expand them as traffic increases (as I would like to hope that it will). Another option absolutely worth of discussion.

Again, for myself however, the time I've spent *currently* figuring out how this website design process works, has convinced me that when the time comes to re-build the forums to a larger, more expansive design, there will be enough existing posts that have to be moved, that, quite frankly, I imagine it would be a nightmare of epic proportions...

admittedly, this isn't really the *best* format to have this discussion - I'm paraphrasing Morntha's idea while simultaneously presenting my own counter argument, so, I welcome Morntha re-posting when (s)he finds the chance

and I look forward to hearing any other ideas, suggestions or recommendations as well - once we've had a larger range of input, we can make some decisions

this discussion is open for everyone in the guild

hope to hear from you all soon!

I like it more or less as is, though I would make the following changes:

• Make Guild Rules forum available for anyone to read.  Right now, I'm not allowed to see what's in there, though I think I'm a member - or at least my application's been accepted.
  • Make Guild Feedback a subforum of Guild Rules (though not until everyone can see Guild Rules, as then we wouldn't be able to read this thread!).
  • Make Vaults of Wisdom and Chronicles of Tamriel separate subforums of Elder Scrolls Discussion.

If you can find how to do it, make the text editor more like LMB's?  I don't like way it separates paragraphs and I can't find how to turn that off.

I'm not allowed in the Guild Rules forum either, it says requires special permission to enter.

As I said to Andeon before I think the forums look fine as is. We are not going on a big recruiting drive to get more members, so if it looks half empty, it will not bother me. But may be nice to have later on.

Vendek

Molly Bayberry

Yes, I made the suggestion to condense the forums, but Andeon put so much work into them that I think they should stay as they are, after all. As Vendek says, we're not going on a big recruiting drive in the near future... or are we? *laughs*

Also Sandy Gorseleaf of Clan Etal
Andeon

all good points - I'll start tracking down some of the mentioned issues...

guild rules needs some tweaking - I want everyone to be able to read it, but I want to limit the people that can post in it and/or edit it - that means tweaking the permissions fields for the forum, which is relatively easy - but it also means making adjustments to the "classes" of guild/forum members, which is considerably more difficult currently for me to understand...so, since I know I can trust you all, I'll open up the rules forums for now, and once I get a handle on the nitty-gritty of forum permissions and member permissions/classes, I'll refine that process

I liked the some of the condensing ideas by Kaerri - thank you - I think I'll go ahead and move the lore/chronicles - I'm a little more hesitant about making feedback a subforum - there's a part of my brain, I'll admit, that seems to qualify sub-forums as "less important", and I really want people to feel like they are welcome and encouraged to offer feedback

still, it's an impulse that with just a little conscious thought, I can overcome, and it does help condense the rather spread out forums for the moment - so, as long as no one besides me has an issue with sub forums "feeling" less important or less regarded than primary forums, I'll go ahead and make that change

regarding the text editor...bunhWUNH?... Happy  seriously though, I'll rummage through the settings we have in the LMB forums and see if I can find out what that is and where it is - I haven't myself experienced any issues with the text editor so far, so I'm sorta fumbling in the dark, but I'll see if I can replicate whatever settings we have in the LMB forums for you

thanks for everyone's input so far - it's been nice seeing you all and chatting occasionally in ESO - I'd like to arrange some small, coordinated efforts between people just to give us an opportunity to see each other in game and do some things, depending on what we can manage with so many divisions of alliance, quest, phase, and level - but I'm confident we can work something out...

Hooray! I can get in. The forums look great. They are not very busy, but then we are a small group. Happy

Other active games: ESO (Tearna, T'nar, Tealan, etc.)
Andeon

I switched the default forum text editor whatever-thingy from WYSIWIG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) to er...whatever the other option is - as near as I can tell, one is supposed to be a graphical editor that allows you to see the final form as you enter it, while the other is a more traditional text editor

since the "default" setting was the wysiwig, and the only other option is the standard text editor, and it appears that wysiwig is ALSO turned off on the LMB forums, the text editor, if I understood everything correctly, should now work just like it does on the LMB website

great to see some new posters - glad the new permissions are working - I'll admit I haven't touched the forum in several days - I've been swamped at work and home the last several days - but I'm ready for round 3 of forum revision process - if you guys notice anything out of whack or something you'd like added or adjusted, just bring it up - I'll track it down if I can, and if I can't, I'll find someone who knows more Happy

some crafting threads would be awesome, no doubt about it - if you think it needs it's own subforum, I'll create one - I'm not sure what other proper place would be - I'll take a look at structure and see what I can come up with

keep on truckin' friends!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: